The article I read about Amici de Don Bosco last Friday reminded me of the last time I was there. We had a feast…we filled our stomach as much as we could. But still, I was unsatisfied.
The place doesn’t have that fancy look as other Italian restaurants. It is your usual school canteen, round tables, plastic chairs and pay-as-you-order set-up. You have to line up in one of the three cashiers to give your order. On your way to the cashier, you can’t help but notice what other people eat. That set-up worked pretty well on me because seeing all that food made me want to have a taste of each dish.
I wanted to get one of that pasta with prawns on the side, or the one smothered with cheese…yummy! They had a lot on their menu (and it was all in Italian), but I ended up picking the one that sounded more familiar….BAKED MACARONI. What a loser...
Ergo, I left Amici unsatisfied but filled to the brim.
When I read that article, I immediately forwarded the link to my food-tripping-badminton friends (who were the same people I went there with the first time) who took it as an invitation to be taken immediately…as in now na (it was 8:30 in the morning, duh?!). After much negotiation, we all decided it best to have dinner in a not so distant place.
We went to this small but quiet place in Shaw which they call the Cookbook Kitchen. It’s not one of those you would pass by on your way to someplace as it’s located in the side streets of Shaw. You really have to go out of your way to find it. If you’re one of those who are constantly in search of new places, then you’ve probably heard of it. I hear it’s quite famous for some celebrities.
Like Fat Michael’s Place, CBK is an old house converted into a restaurant. It’s quite small (but relatively bigger than Fat Michael’s) with few tables and basic furniture. Their accent wall made use of a good combination of colors which matched well with their dishware. Over all, CBK’s look is okay.
On to the more important part...the food was great. I ordered Parmesan Crusted White Fish, their bestseller. It is indeed a must-try. If you love herbs, you’ll definitely love this dish. It’s juicy and flavorful, the herbs played well with the creamy taste of the dish. For dessert, we ordered Peach-something Overload (sorry forgot the complete name). It’s a big serving good enough for 5. If you’re on a strict diet, I suggest you pass up on the dessert because the overload of vanilla ice cream and icing on top of lemon cake is simply irresistible.
I’m going back for Pork Steak with Honey Mustard Sauce.
I’m going back for Pork Steak with Honey Mustard Sauce.
PS. We also had interesting conversations about married life, intriguing people, retirement benefits and blogs. Hehehe…Will write about that some other time.


0 comments:
Post a Comment