The Story of my Life

"If I could wish for my life to be perfect,
it would be tempting, but I would have to decline,
for life would no longer teach me anything..."

4:19 PM

Dade

Posted by Claire |

When I was growing up, I had a love-hate relationship with my dad. He thinks I am rebellious and out of control, and I think he is unreasonable. He thinks I will bring nothing but humiliation to the family, and I think he is unfair. He was hard on me, but that same fact inspired me to do well and be good.

In the middle of our war was my mom. My dad was never confrontational when it comes to us, his children. So whenever he has issues with us he'd talk to my mom and my mom will talk to us, which means we never had a chance to have a dialogue to sort out our issues. His means is my mom, my way is by letters. There were a couple of times I would write him a letter to air out my side which would lessen the tension, but after sometime we'll be back to square one.

He only loosened up a few years after I graduated. Since then, I had more liberty to do the things I want. And although he would still remind me of the effects of my vices, his approach became more subtle and loving. We became more vocal about our feelings on certain issues and we were saying i-love-yous to each other more often.

These days I get to spend more quality time with him. And the more I talk to him, the more I understand and appreciate the kind of man that my father is. He may not be the best father there is, but at the end of the day he is still my father. He is still unreasonable at times, but somehow I managed to embrace his imperfections. He may not be the smartest, loving, patient or richest father there is, but I love him just the same.

Happy father's day, Dade. I love you so much.

1 comments:

Reeyah said...

Happy Father's Day to Dade (although belated na).
=)

Post a Comment

Subscribe