The Story of my Life

"If I could wish for my life to be perfect,
it would be tempting, but I would have to decline,
for life would no longer teach me anything..."

9:36 AM

Road Accident

Posted by Claire |

I hit a motorcycle this morning on my way to work. But to be honest I really don't know if it was my fault. All I remember is that when it was time for our lane to go, I drove ahead of the pack and the next thing I know the car was hit by a motorcycle.

I froze for an instant. I had no clue of what to do. This is my first road accident so I went by my initial reaction. When the driver recovered, I saw him pointing at me and mouthing words I couldn't understand. I went down to see the damage. And explained to him what "I" thought had happened. I was standing in the middle of the road talking as loud as I could for him to hear me.
Looking back now, I know I sounded defensive and I didn't even show a slightest hint of concern for the driver who may have been badly hurt. I already saw he was limping but I ignored him as I was more concerned of defending myself.


Husbo arrived a few minutes later. Between the two of us, Husbo is the one more diplomatic and composed when it comes to things like these so I had him deal with the driver and the police. They exchanged numbers without agreeing on a settlement.

On our way to work (husbo decided to drive me to work after the incident), I realized that I could've handled things better. I could've apologized, not to mean that I am admitting it was all my fault, but more for any damage or injury the accident could've caused him. I also could've replied kindly when he approached me to apologize for the accident. He saw that I was pregnant and he apologized for it. Husbo said we should give him something to cover for his medical check-up which I don't mind.


One thing I learned from this experience is that accidents do happen and if it happens to you, you should not forget to do your moral obligations to the other party whether it is your fault or not. And those are (1) to check if they're free from any danger, and (2) apologize because either way you've caused inconvenience.


I hope the driver is okay and that his leg is not seriously hurt despite the limping. I hope that God sends his angels to cure him.

1 comments:

CandyQ said...

Yikes, not the best way to start your day but thank God nothing worse happened to either of you. Don't feel so bad about your initial reaction; it was just your instinct of self-preservation kicking in at that time.

Anyway, stay safe, Kara's mom! :)

Post a Comment

Subscribe